Thursday, June 03, 2004

A few random comments:

-I made the Post this morning with this post. Cool. I think this "Blogger's Corner" feature of theirs is a good idea since there are a lot of good writings on the net (for those new to blogs, click the links on the right hand side for people who are far, far more insightful, witty and well-written than me). Of course, most people are thinking "Of course he thinks it's a good idea, they put a post of his in their paper. If Al Quaeda did the same thing, he'd be praising Osama Bin Laden." But, seriously, I think it's a good idea.

-This will not help Harper in the least.

-I chuckled at Ken Dryden's campaign slogan: "Protecting Canadian Goals"

-People may notice that I don't talk too much about any of the heated election races going on in Calgary. There's a reason for that, and it comes from this quote I found in the Star today:
"Maybe if they find one of the Conservative candidates accused of murder, the Liberal in that riding might win. But maybe not. People will say, 'It’s only murder.'"
David Taras, communications professor at the University of Calgary, on Alberta as a wasteland for Liberals, interviewed in Time.

-The Liberal platform is out and I like it. But will they follow through on it? That's debatable. This party always campaigns from the left and governs from the right. And given Martin's conservative nature, I'd be surprised if he follows through on all these promises. But full marks for realizing the only way to beat the Tories this election is to campaign from the left.

-Finally, watch out for other apocalyptic signs because I swear I saw Chantal Hebert defending Jean Chretien last night on the National. There was discussion about Martin running on "liberal" values but Hebert pointed out that Martin has been fuzzy on everything from the war to gay marriage to Kyoto. Then she proclaimed that Jean Chretien was a man of conviction who clearly laid out where he stood on "liberal" issues. Or something like that. I was so surprised to see Hebert stick up for Chretien that I may not have been paying complete attention.

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home