Ad Watch: Olympic Edition
1. BC Tourism: Celebrities - who live in LA - stand in front of green screen shots of BC, telling us they call it "home" and that "you've got to visit".
2. Chevy: This isn't an Olympic-themed commercial, but it's been airing during CTV broadcasts. It's an attack-ad, where Chevrolet says four studies have shown they get better gas mileage than Toyota. I'm all for attack ads, but it just seems to me that there might be better things to attack Toyota on than poor gas mileage...
3. Presidents Choice: So I'm watching downhill skiing, and the Canadian team has gone through crash after crash. Then comes up a commercial from Presidents Choice, talking about how Canadian skiers eat their Presidents Choice blue menu. Fail.
4. McDonalds: This one only aired earlier in the Olympics - it features one of our athletes talking about how he always eats McDonald's fries. Me thinks "Own the Podium" should hire a dietitian...
5. Coke, McDonald's, and Visa: Giant US multinationals selling Canadian pride. Tim Hortons can do it, but since when are Morgan Freeman and Visa Canadian?
6. It's Our Game: I love this Coke commercial that tells us to "remind everyone whose game it is". The only problem is that they're going to have to pull it if Team Canada bombs out in the quarters, or else it will be a punch to the gut of hockey fans coast to coast every time it airs. That, or they'll have to remix it to remind Canadians to show the world who owns ice dancing!
7. MacDonald's Eggs Jugglers: No offense, but when I go to MacDonald's, I just want my McMuffin quickly - I don't want the cook staff spending twenty minutes juggling eggs before they cook it.