Thursday, October 26, 2006

Streetfight for the Crown: Dave Hancock

Before I get to my third profile of the PC leadership candidates, check out the latest from the party's biggest shit disturber (who I profiled yesterday):


Alberta Tory leadership candidate Lyle Oberg called a news conference to allege misconduct on another candidate's campaign, then backed away from revealing details Wednesday. Lyle Oberg planned to reveal all the details of the alleged misconduct at a news conference Tuesday morning.

"The bottom line on this is, I would have loved to bring this out," he told the gathered reporters in Edmonton. "And I may well bring this out at some time in the future, but I am very concerned about the people involved, and I am protecting the people involved."

Oberg wouldn't reveal what the alleged misconduct is or which candidate is implicated.


If you're reading this saying to yourself "He called a press conference to announce that he has top secret information but won't say who or what it's about?", that's my interpretation of this story too. Talk about weird.

So while we eagerly await information on which candidate is the source of Oberg's super secret information, I present my third profile - Dave Hancock.


Dave Hancock

In 30 words or less: Hancock is pretty well liked by everyone although he's never really made a name for himself, good or bad. Closest thing to a Red Tory you'll find in this race. Think Jim Prentice, except with a name 14 year olds would find funny.

Background: He's served in several portfolios including Advanced Education and Justice. During this time he seems to have taken credit for every major improvement which has occurred to the city of Edmonton ("Dave encouraged Kevin Lowe to trade for Dwayne Rolloson...").

Hancock on emissions: Dave has a fairly lengthy environmental platform with a lot of ideas, although it's short on specifics. He's promising to work with industry to set targets and standards and to offer incentives for energy efficiency. There's also a video on his site of Dave (not) answering questions on oilsands development.

Hancock's Backers: Dave may have an MLA or two, I honestly don't know. I'd say these are the key backers:



On the Blogs: Rather than getting a sixteen year old staffer to ghost write his blog, the Hancock website features a blog by Dave's wife, Janet. Surprisingly, I didn't see a recap of Dave's photo-op with the cheerleaders on it...

Can He Win: No, not really.

My Take: Hancock is seen to be the closest thing to a Red Tory you'll find in this race. He's well liked by most Liberals I know in Edmonton and seems like a pretty good guy. Given all this, he's got no chance in hell of winning.

5 Comments:

  • Talk about boring - the guy is so boring that even a post by CalgaryGrit is making me yawn.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:58 a.m.  

  • Well Lyle does know where all the skeletons are. He just won't say.

    By Blogger Psychols, at 2:07 a.m.  

  • As far as I know, Hancock has no caucus backers. I know two former Tory MLA's Bob Maskell (Edmonton Meadowlark 2001-04) and Ian McClellan (Edmonton Rutherford 2001-04) are backing him.

    I have a list that I'm trying to keep as updated as possible: http://daveberta.blogspot.com/2006/06/keeping-track-of-alberta-tory.html

    By Blogger daveberta, at 2:53 a.m.  

  • If Lyle doesn't watch himself, he might find himself buried along with the Skeletons.

    By Blogger Joe Calgary, at 1:30 p.m.  

  • "Rather than getting a sixteen year old staffer "

    .. another Jaffer joke? :)

    By Blogger Michael Fox, at 10:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home