Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Greatest Canadian

It’s the fall of 2005 and, stealing a page from “World Idol”, comes “Greatest Human”, a contest pitting the “Greatest” TV show winners from all countries against each other. I’m on the phone with Swedish cousin, Lars, trying to explain the show.

Me: “You see, they had a Greatest Canadian, and Greatest American, and Greatest German, and so on and all the winners are going up against each other. It’s a nifty idea.”

Lars: “Ya, Ya. So who are the finalists?”

Me: “Well, there’s Nelson Mandela, and Copernicus, and Rembrandt, and Churchill, and Joanne of Arc, and Gandhi, and Guttenberg…”

Lars: “Ya, ya. So who is the Canadian on the list?”

Me: “Well, umm…you see, the thing is…it’s, uhh, Tommy Douglas.”

Lars: “Tommy Who?”

Me: “Tommy Douglas”

Lars: “Oh ya, him. Loved him in the Game!”

Me: “No, no. That’s Michael Douglas, he’s American.”

Lars: “So, who is Tommy?”

Me: “Well, he was the Premier of one of our smaller, less important provinces in the 50s. Saskatchewan – have you ever heard of it?”

Lars: “Saskatchewan…didn’t he play with Peter Forsberg last year in Colorado?”

Me: “No, no. Never mind. He was also involved in federal politics.”

Lars: “So he was Prime Minister? Like Joe Clark?”

Me: “No, no. He led the third place party. They won 20 or 30 seats under him.”

Lars: “I see…And he’s the Greatest Canadian?”

Me: *sigh* “I guess…”

(pause)

Me: “He’s also Kiefer Sutherland’s grandfather.”

Lars: “Kiefer! I love Kiefer! 24 is amazing! I’m definitely voting for Michael Douglas!”

Me: “Tommy.”

Lars: “Ya, ya. Tommy. Yay Kiefer!”

8 Comments:

  • Wow. This sums it up much better than my tepid response (http://borealblog.blogspot.com/2004/11/and-winner-is.html), and with significantly more humour.

    No offense to good old Tommy, but he didn't belong in the same league with Trudeau, Banting, Fox or Macdonald.

    Then again, Don Cherry didn't win, so there's hope for us yet.

    By Blogger Timmy the G, at 4:50 PM  

  • Hey, I checked out your blog and there's a ton of content there. I'll definitely link up to it when I update my blogroll in the near future.

    As for Tommy D, give him "Greatest Saskatchewanian" (Saskatchewaner? Saskwatch?) if you want, but his only real impact outside of Sask was Health Care. And a lot of other people like Lester Pearson and Emmett Hall were neccesary for Health Care to become a national institution. I'd stick Douglas at around 8th or 9th on my list.

    By Blogger calgarygrit, at 2:26 AM  

  • Nice blog I have one myself great idea photo design software

    By Blogger Nosey, at 6:22 PM  

  • Nice blog. Please check out my md small business health insurance
    site. It is all about md small business health insurance
    informations.

    By Blogger Tom Naka, at 3:37 AM  

  • Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of california health and beauty
    for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on california health and beauty
    . Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

    By Blogger Tom Naka, at 10:47 PM  

  • Hi, I was surfing the internet and happened on your blog. I'm quite impressed , with how this all works. This is one to watch.

    Best wishes,

    California Health And Medical Insurance

    By Blogger Online Degree Adviser, at 7:30 AM  

  • Hello,
    Without much luck, I was searching for blogs about Cell Phones when I happened across yours. It's a cool blog. Evidently you like telling it like it is! I have a really great ebay website that is easy to use that you may like. If you get a chance, check it out www.licensedbrandsclub.com.

    By Blogger maverick, at 1:44 PM  

  • I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
    accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
    If you have a moment, please visit my canadian auto insurance quote online site.
    Have a good day!

    By Blogger Paul Adams, at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home