Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2010 in Quotes

A look back at some of the more memorable quotes of the year...and a poll for you to vote on your favourite!

"I'm eating my cookie"
-Alberta Health Services CEO Stephen Duckett, on why he wouldn't answer reporter questions

"And so I have people touching my private parts all day long."
-Michael Ignatieff, on airport security

"I have no plans to leave. I have made no plans to leave. I have no plans to make plans to leave. Can I be any more clear?"
-Peter McKay, on his political future

"I am pleased to talk about the Liberals' record on foreign takeovers. I think they had a foreign takeover of the Liberal party just last year."
-John Baird

"Allow me therefore to be categorical … To leave no question and no doubt: I am not a pirate! I have no sword. No flintlock. No eye patch. This glass is filled with water, not rum. The only squawking parrot I know is Pierre Poilievre. And I would never let him sit on my shoulder."
-Ralph Goodale

"Stephen Harper learned early in his career that patronage is the K-Y Jelly of politics."
-Pat Martin (who else?)

"Canada suddenly knows how to correctly pronounce Toews."
-Vic Toews, after the Blackhawks Stanley Cup win

"Actually the Long Form is still around & will be going to more Cdns–minus the state coercion"
-Tony Clement, explaining his decision to scrap the Census, over Twitter

"The appointment of David Johnston as Canada's next Governor General is a historic breakthrough. You, like us, have no doubt seen the federal career ads where, written in invisible ink, are the words, 'white men need not apply'."
-The Ottawa Sun in a (we guess) serious editorial

"Losers don't get to form coalitions."
-Stephen Harper

"You guys used to be so cool. You were smokers. You had epic hockey fights. We had half our comedians from Canada. Now you're all a bunch of girls named Francois."
-Ann Coulter, on Canada

"They could have Tweeted the Throne Speech, and still had twelve characters left over."
-Marlene Jennings

"Every time Mr. Harper gets within a mile of Canadian military equipment, he takes a swipe at the Liberal Party. It’s like Pavlov’s dog."
-Michael Ignatieff

"It’s kind of interesting that it’s like a civics lesson for the whole country, because we’re learning about how Parliament works which I think is a good thing in the long run."
-Conservative MP Barry Devolin, on the benefits of prorogation

"I've heard some of the allegations made by someone by the name of Tom Flanagan. I don't know who he is."
-Shelly Glover

“As you know, as part of our economic action plan, one of the things we’ve of course done is to step up government advertising. One of the purposes of that has been to support media outlets during the recession that have been particularly hard-hit.”
– Stephen Harper, on government advertising

“Democracy and Parliament are not being sidestepped — they are only being suspended.”
-Conservative MP Brent Rathgeber, on prorogation


Now's your turn to vote on the most memorable quote of 2010 - use whatever criteria you want to make your selection. You can vote for multiple quotes, and come back and vote again each day (if, you know, you have nothing better to do over the holidays).

Most memorable quote of 2010?
"I'm eating my cookie"
"I have people touching my private parts all day long"
"I have no plans to leave, etc, etc"
"They had a foreign takeover of the Liberal party just last year"
"I am not a pirate!"
"Patronage is the K-Y Jelly of politics"
"Canada suddenly knows how to correctly pronounce Toews"
"Actually the Long Form is still around and will be going to more Cdnsminus the state coercion"
"The appointment of David Johnston is a historic breakthrough"
"Losers don't get to form coalitions"
"Now you're all a bunch of girls named Francois."
"They could have Tweeted the Throne Speech, and still had twelve characters left over"
"It's like Pavlov's dog"
"It's like a civics lesson for the whole country"
"I don't know who he is"
"One of the purposes of that has been to support media outlets during the recession"
"Democracy and Parliament are not being sidestepped - they are only being suspended"
pollcode.com free polls

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • For the record, the Stephen Duckett "cookie" video now has 301,284 views on YouTube.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxeCK5Ne_Q

    By Anonymous daveberta, at 4:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home