Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bonjour

I wouldn't expect very eloquent posts over the next few days - instead, a few random quick hits now that I've arrived in La Nation.

1. I was watching the extras from my Trudeau DVD on the way in here and they had a documentary on the 1968 convention. My favourite line was of one delegate describing Trudeau: "He's got that Kennedy charismic" - what foresight on her part :-)

2. Now that the nation resolution is off the table, reporters scramble to find some sort of interesting policy to cover. I'm of two minds on the pulling of this resolution. I recognize it would be a divisive debate but it would be good for the party to see what it's members thought of this.

3. The latest SES poll shows that the Liberal Party needs to renew itself. Now, which candidate is committed to renewal again?

3 Comments:

  • to answer #3 - Stephane Dion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 p.m.  

  • Re 1968 Convention

    My favourite comment was from Judy Lamarsh

    Here is the quote from Wikipedia

    "In the 1968 Liberal leadership convention to choose a successor to Pearson, she supported Paul Hellyer.

    When it became clear after the first round of voting that Hellyer could not win, she urged him to drop off the ballot and throw his support to another candidate in order to stop Pierre Trudeau.

    Her words, uttered on the floor of the convention hall:

    "Paul, you've got to go to Winters. Don't let that bastard win it, Paul - he isn't even a Liberal" were, unbeknownst to her, broadcast live over CBC Television. "

    Who will get the "Judy award" this year?

    Stay tuned . . . . .

    (My plane is calling me)

    By Blogger Down & Out in L A, at 1:59 p.m.  

  • I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that you spent your time on the way to Montreal watching the Trudeau DVD or that you actually watched all the extras. :)

    By Blogger WE Speak, at 8:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home