Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thursday Notes

I'll be posting revised leadership projections later tonight after I found a small glitch in my original formula. Until then, here's a look at the news:


1. He's baaaaaack! I must say, I can't wait for Monday Report the Rick Mercer Report to start airing again next month. Until then, Rick is back and blogging. Among the musings in his return post, is a look at the term "anticipatory hypothetical" which, I am proud to say, this blog finishes first for on a google search, ahead of the Indian sex and crazy robots he talks about.


2. Prairie Fire has a run down on some Saskatchewan endorsement news. Still no word on Ralph, who remains one of the biggest catches still out there (after Jean Lapierre, of course).


3. The Globe continues their leadership series with a look at Scott Brison. My opinion of Scott has risen quite a lot during this race and I'd probably slot him into my top 3 at this point.


4. Bob is proposing a form of pharmacare which would be a great initiative.


5. Michael Ignatieff launched his platform yesterday, amid much fanfare. I was very relieved to see that Michael is against a devolution of powers to the provinces since, listening to his various musings, this was a road I was almost positive he would be heading down.

He is still determined to re-open the constitution and to recognize Quebec (and first nations people) as nations in the constitution. I really can't see a scenario where re-opening the constitution wouldn't cause more harm than good but I suppose it's possible that we'll have a nice round of amicable constitutional talks, leading to a common consensus which leaves every single province, territory, potential nation, and special interest group happy.

There are some interesting proposals in the rest of the platform too, but the national unity section is the only part I've read in depth so far. Once all the campaigns have released platforms, I'll do a comparison of some key differences between the candidates.

3 Comments:

  • From the Globe article and the platform itself: "Although his platform states that over the long term it is important for Quebec to sign on to Canada's Constitution..." I.e. we've got to include them at some point, but not now.

    By Blogger Ted Betts, at 5:40 p.m.  

  • "He's obviously trying to attract soft Quebec nationalists to his leadership camp."

    I thought his platform would have the opposite effect, with Iggy's refusal to devolve power and tax points. The strong central government theme hasn't worked well for the Liberals in Quebec for the last 25 years.

    By Blogger nuna d. above, at 8:13 p.m.  

  • While the sound of a catastrophic drug plan may be promising, universal coverage would not be a good idea. Ask any pharmacist to compare the benefits, restrictions and red tape of existing federal plans (First Nations, veterans, refugees) compared to provincial plans. They are a nightmare and would not result in an improvement in patient care in many provinces.

    By Blogger Jason, at 3:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home