Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Mid-Week Musings

1. As funny as it is, can anyone see any sort of strategic advantage to signing up dead people in this race. Unless you plan to do the Weekend at Bernie’s thing and truck them down to vote, you’re just wasting your $10 their $10. This isn’t one of those mail in/phone in votes where this kind of fraud benefits you so recruiting the old Tom Long team in Quebec doesn’t really help Volpe out in this instance.

2. I’ve made my feelings on Paul Martin and his gang known in the past but books like these don’t do anything to help the party. No one wants to revisit old feuds and, with one or two exceptions, I think one of the great things about this leadership race is that it’s brought the old leadership camps together. I guess Eddie is free to write whatever he wants but I think most Liberals just want to move on.

3. Does anyone know of a site with the full list of programs cut and an explanation behind why each one was axed. Reading through the recaps, it seems to me like a lot of valuable programs were cut (as well as some that probably deserved the axe) but I'd like to see the official reasoning before rushing to judgment.

4. Our mystery pollster appears to be an American firm - Solus One. It's obvious that this is a canvas by one of the four candidates listed to find supporters. For fun, if anyone else gets the call, I encourage you to pick a candidate other than the one you're supporting and see if you get a call from their campaign this weekend encouraging you to vote.

13 Comments:

  • CG,

    Have you looked through the CBC's indepth page on the cuts? It's a pretty good breakdown.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/parliament39/budgetcuts.html

    CBC the links to an actual page by the government that has a breakdown of the cuts even further and shows where the waste was and such.

    http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/media/nr-cp/2006/0925_e.asp

    Hope those help your research.

    By Blogger Forward Looking Canadian, at 1:55 p.m.  

  • Actually, many ridings outside of urban centres are using mail-in ballots. My riding in BC, for example.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 2:11 p.m.  

  • Hooray for Tom Long references....

    By Blogger Bailey, at 2:30 p.m.  

  • I don't think we'll be getting many calls from the candidates - if you hit any number other than 1 for Bob Rae, the dialler hangs up on you... I actually called back to complain byut funny enough the incoming mailbox was full!

    By Blogger Gavin Magrath, at 3:00 p.m.  

  • The full list is available on the Treasury Board web site:

    http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/media/nr-cp/2006/0925_e.asp

    By Blogger bureaubrat, at 3:14 p.m.  

  • http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/media/nr-cp/2006/0925_e.asp

    By Blogger nbpolitico, at 6:10 p.m.  

  • No one wants to revisit old feuds

    Except, perhaps, for the people who were the most hurt by them.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm too busy with the 1939 appearances of Batman to personally read Gagliano...

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at 9:32 p.m.  

  • I ignored the polling company and have received recorded messages from a number of campaigns. I also received a personal call from a delegate.

    Dredging up the Martin/Chretien feuds is dumb but Gagliano is consumed by bitterness.

    By Blogger Psychols, at 12:04 a.m.  

  • I agree with Calgary Grit on the cuts. I know where the cuts were, but I have no idea how well the programs actually worked. The big issue for me is did the programs deliver results or not. If they did, they should be kept, if they didn't they should be scrapped. Unfortunately the Conservatives will say they didn't and the Liberals will say they did. I guess only time will tell, although considering how small the cuts were, I doubt we will notice much difference one way or another.

    By Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight, at 12:16 a.m.  

  • Darrell,
    i think you answered your own question in a way. no campaign would ever pay people for each membership form that they turn in completed, or every campaign would fall victim to this situation all the time. i know joe volpe's campaign did not pay people for each member they signed up, and i highly doubt any other candidate including iggy would pay people for each form.

    By Blogger kenlister1, at 12:20 a.m.  

  • Because of the obvious lack of advantage in signing up the Zombie faction, I have had to wonder how many of the "problematic" memberships were written up by saboteurs, rather than supporters, of the respective camps.

    To me, as a (small-c, not a member of any Party) conservative, it speaks more to weaknesses in process than to strength (or weakness) in any particular campaign. It would seem to be much better to encourage individuals to buy their own memberships online from the National Party, using a credit card in their own name, rather than having various campaigns submit forms (and cash?) to various provincial agencies.

    The weaknesses shouldn't be a barrier to accepting responsibility, but rather a rallying point around which many can come to an agreement.

    By Blogger Paul, at 3:40 a.m.  

  • but Gagliano is consumed by bitterness.

    Right - and you wouldn't be.

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at 7:50 a.m.  

  • Reading through the recaps, it seems to me like a lot of valuable programs were cut (as well as some that probably deserved the axe) but I'd like to see the official reasoning before rushing to judgment.

    THAT's why I read your blog as opposed to other Liberal blogs... you have my respect, and you can count me as a daily reader.

    There were one or two programs that I myself wonder why they got cut (ie - medical pot), but as for the SOW funding cuts, I'm very happy because I don't like my tax dollars going to fund totally one-sided court challenges... while they reject funding requests from anyone who holds anything outside of their narrow POV.

    Looking forward to your analysis.

    By Blogger Christian Conservative, at 12:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home