Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Jack Ducceppe and Gilles Layton Debate

In case you missed it last night, the highlight of the debate was not Martin and Harper going uno a uno. It was, without a doubt Layton and Ducceppe. When they went 1 on 1, it was probably the most agreement ever uttered in a debate. At one point in the second segment, Ducceppe responded to Layton's comments by saying "I have nothing more to add." It was absolute agreement between them on everything. For those who missed it, here's a rough transcript.

Layton: "Years of Paul Martin slashes have caused a fiscal imbalance across this country. It is time we restored money to the provinces."

Ducceppe: "I agree Mr.Layton. But I must take issue with what you said Sir. That is a complete misrepresentation of the facts. In fact, the cuts also severely gutted the health care system."

Layton: "Right you are Mr.Ducceppe. Never before have I heard truer words. But I am genuinely offended that you failed to mention the money wasted on scandal. So I want you to answer me this question, and I want you to give me a direct answer: Did the Liberals waste taxpayer dollars in the Sponsorship Scandal?"

Ducceppe: That is a difficult question you ask me. But I must agree the answer is yes. And yet, Mr. Martin refuses to tell us who was responsible for this scandal.

Layton: Preach on brother!

Ducceppe: Until Mr.Martin comes clean and tells us where the political direction came from, Canadians will not be able to trust him.

Layton: Amen! Say, Mr.Ducceppe, I must admit you have an outstanding haircut today. Far less scary than Stephen Harper's.

Ducceppe: Why thank you. I must say that your mustache is quite dignified and a bold statement on your part.

Layton: Oh Gilles, you are too kind.

Ducceppe: Say Jacques, would you like to go have a coffee with me after these debates?

Layton: It would be my honour.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home