Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pass the Hat

The Globe has a story on how much money different Tory MPs have donated to the Conservative Party over the past year. James Moore has given more than any other Conservative MP to his own party. So clearly just writing a cheque doesn't guarantee you a Cabinet spot. Apparently, neither does being an extremely bright and talented MP. But I digress.

Apparently, there has been some "displeasure" over the fact that 18 Cabinet Ministers haven't donated cash to their own party this year. Luckily, after asking some questions in the right places, I've come up with the top 8 excuses by Tory Cabinet Ministers for not donating to the party:


8. Lost all my money in that income trust flip-flop.

7. Stockwell Day: "Already donated to get the Big Valley Creation Museum started".

6. Gordon O'Connor: "I did donate money. What? I didn't. General Hillier said I did."

5. Made an "in kind" donation by giving Stephen Harper fashion advice.

4. To be honest, I don't do anything unless explicitly instructed to do it from the PMO. I'm afraid to even order a donut on my own.

3. Tony Clement: "Now that Belinda's a Liberal, I've had to finish paying off my own leadership campaign debt."

2. John Baird: "After thirteen long years of Liberal corruption...I'm sorry - what was the question again?"

1. Felt it could be better spent donating it to the Stephane Dion leadership campaign.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Felt it could be better spent donating it to the Stephane Dion leadership campaign.

    Oooh, I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions to that one...

    By Blogger Josh, at 5:33 p.m.  

  • "I put the money in with the federal eco-auto rebate, expect to get it sometime in.... 2012." - John Baird

    By Blogger Forward Looking Canadian, at 8:21 p.m.  

  • 2 excuses for back bench MP's
    10. James Rajotte: "The last time someone asked me to do something I lost control of my anger, and later had to plead guilty to aggravated assault."
    9. Mike Lake: "I was going to donate money but then a sasquatch started chasing me"

    By Blogger kenlister1, at 8:21 a.m.  

  • Cheryl Gallant: I had the cheque all made out, but I couldn't lick the envelope to seal it because Stephen Harper cut my tongue out.

    Peter Mackay: My dog ate it. Well actually it was my neighbour's dog, but it plays my dog on TV.

    Myron Thompson: Spent it on a pair of assless chaps to wear in the Pride parade.

    Bill Casey: I donated to the Nova Scotia PC Party instead.

    By Blogger Reality Bites, at 11:07 a.m.  

  • Emerson:
    I donated, but I'm not sure to which party 'cause I can't remember where my loyalties were at the time.

    Wajid Khan:
    What david said.

    Bev Odious:
    I donated generously, but the funds cannot be released until criteria is set.

    Poilievre:
    I didn't have to study politics to make it as a brilliant politician, and I don't have to donate either.

    Van Loan: Why haven't I donated yet? The real question is why do Liberals support terrorists!

    Vellacott:
    Donating to my party is a gamble, and gambling is a sin.

    Ambrose:
    Whatever Stephen told me to say. (big smile, swing back hair, nod wisely)

    By Blogger 900ft Jesus, at 11:50 a.m.  

  • CalgaryGrit, your not playing nice!

    Stockwell Day was not the most "inspired" choice as a party leader, and I must admit his spiritual side certainly does raise some eyebrows, but that being said, I think a lot of us are pleasantly surprised that he has become a rather competent cabinet minister.

    Surprising, especially when he sat in the Alberta cabinet, a lot of us thought of him as a rather incompetent minister.

    Now, if we can get him to explain where we might find dinosaur and human tracks in fossil records at the same place, everything would be good.

    By Blogger Andy, at 3:33 p.m.  

  • Gerry Ritz: I am saving up for guns and mortar for a collection.
    Gerald Keddy: I will announce my donation after I get the side deal signed to honor the atlantic accord.
    Stockwell Day: I can't believe I only used taxpayer money to pay off part of my debt to Jim Hart fellow
    Jeff Watson: Damn expensive lawyers taking all my money! http://thetyee.ca/Bigstory/2007/02/06/RidingPolitics/

    By Blogger kenlister1, at 4:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home