Sunday, January 14, 2007

A True Calgary Liberal

I was really saddened to hear about the passing of Mike Jensen, who was one of the most passionate and intelligent Liberals in Calgary there was. Mike was active in the Liberal Party in Calgary for a long time and I last saw him at the leadership convention where he was a Dion delegate. He will certainly be missed.

------------------------------------------------

Michael Jensen

Michael A. Jensen, beloved son of Dorothy Dawe and Ian Jensen, passed away suddenly at the Rockyview General Hospital on Friday, January 12, 2007 at the age of 29 years.

Michael was born in Red Deer, AB on September 21, 1977. Although Michael became afflicted with cerebral palsy as an infant, he was ever determined to meet life's challenges head on. Always an honour student, in 1995 Michael was named a member of the Calgary Herald's Class Act upon his graduation from Ernest Manning High School. Michael went on to study at the University of Calgary, obtaining his Bachelor of Arts (with distinction) in 2000, and his Master of Arts in 2003. Michael's Masters Thesis, entitled "The Neoconservative Mind; the Legacy of Leo Strauss", was nominated for the Governor General's medal for academic excellence. At the time of his passing, Michael was completing his doctorate in Political Science at the University of Calgary. Michael was a talented writer and contributor to many publications, including the Calgary Herald, the University of Calgary Gauntlet Newspaper, FFWD Magazine, Ehgloo Magazine and the Canadian Journal of Political Science. Passionately interested in politics, Michael worked on numerous election campaigns as a policy advisor and was a member of the executive of the Calgary Nosehill constituency of the Federal Liberal Party of Canada. Michael was an equally passionate sports fan, particularly of hockey, baseball and curling. Michael's eternal optimism is perhaps best reflected by his devotion to his beloved Chicago Cubs, who haven't won the World Series since 1908. Known for his winning smile, his sometimes off-the-wall sense of humour, his generous nature and his gentle soul, Michael will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

Michael is survived by his loving parents, mother Dorothy Dawe (Barry Dommasch), father Ian (Joanne) Jensen; two sisters Natasha and Chelsea; his grandmother Rae Jensen and his aunts, uncles, cousins and many, many friends. He was predeceased by his grandparents Kai Jensen, G.H. (Harold) and Jean Dawe.

Those wishing to pay their respects may do so at McINNIS & HOLLOWAY'S Park Memorial Chapel (5008 Elbow Drive S.W.) on Monday, January 15, 2007 from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. If friends so desire, in lieu of flowers, memorial tributes may be made directly to the University of Calgary , 2500 University Drive N.W., Calgary, AB T2N 1N4 for a future scholarship in memory of Michael.

Funeral Services will be held at Woodcliff United Church (5010 Spruce Drive S.W.) on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 2:00 p.m. with the Rev. Robert W. Mutlow Presider. Graveside Service to follow at Red Deer Cemetery in Red Deer, AB on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 2:00 p.m. Forward condolences through www.mcinnisandholloway.com.

In living memory of Michael Jensen a tree will be planted at Fish Creek Provincial Park by McINNIS & HOLLOWAY FUNERAL HOMES Park Memorial Chapel, 5008 ELBOW DRIVE S.W. Telephone: (403) 243-8200.

7 Comments:

  • This is really sad. But thank you for posting this.

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:55 p.m.  

  • I was a colleague of Mike's in the department. As Mike was an ardent liberal, I am an ardent conservative of the small c variety. We had many heated discussions and he was always challenging and enormously engaging, and always good natured and open to the irony and humour in politics. He never let his difficulties impair him in any way and he was an intelligent and thoughtful soul. All who knew him are richer for knowing him and we are all poorer for having lost him.
    I am in NL and cannot attend the service, but I wanted to send a note to where some of those who had the good fortune to know Mike might read it.
    Myself and Mike had a bet on the next election. If he wins, I will never have a way to pay him the steak dinner I will owe him. If he wins I plan to donate $50 to the Grits.
    I am sure from wherever Mike now is he would find the humour in that as well.
    I'll miss you my friend.
    Herb Simms PhD candidate, U of C.

    By Blogger Herb, at 10:10 p.m.  

  • I was a colleague of Mike's in the department. As Mike was an ardent liberal, I am an ardent conservative of the small c variety. We had many heated discussions and he was always challenging and enormously engaging, and always good natured and open to the irony and humour in politics. He never let his difficulties impair him in any way and he was an intelligent and thoughtful soul. All who knew him are richer for knowing him and we are all poorer for having lost him.
    I am in NL and cannot attend the service, but I wanted to send a note to where some of those who had the good fortune to know Mike might read it.
    Myself and Mike had a bet on the next election. If he wins, I will never have a way to pay him the steak dinner I will owe him. If he wins I plan to donate $50 to the Grits.
    I am sure from wherever Mike now is he would find the humour in that as well.
    I'll miss you my friend.
    Herb Simms PhD candidate, U of C.

    By Blogger Herb, at 10:14 p.m.  

  • I was saddened today to learn of the passing of the great man and good friend, Michael Jensen.

    I went to school with Michael (sitting as Opposition Leader against him at Ernest Manning High School).
    I loved every minute that I ever spent with him, and every conversation that we ever had.
    I don't need to tell you that he was one of the most passionate people that I have ever met.
    I am hearted to read that he obtained the academic respect that he so rightfully deserved!

    Obviously, we were no longer in frequent contact, but since moving to Australia, I enjoyed sending him news on some of the local politics.
    It was only when my most recent email returned to me unopened that I pursued the reason behind his extended silence.
    It seems pointless to forward my original message now, but I feel I must, as my final goodbye to this man that I looked up to so much.

    He will be greatly missed by many.

    With my tears and greatest respect,

    Joel Haasdyk

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:33 a.m.  

  • By Blogger raybanoutlet001, at 9:23 p.m.  

  • This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website

    Cara Menghilangkan Benjolan di Kepala
    Pengobatan Alami menyembuhkan Sangkadi
    Cara Menghilangkan Bekas luka
    Cara Cepat Mengatasi Iritasi Kulit
    Khasiat dan manfaat QnC Jelly Gamat

    By Anonymous Pengobatan Kaki Bengkak secara Efektif, at 11:30 p.m.  

  • By Blogger Ya Rohman, at 2:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home