Thursday, July 20, 2006

It's Not Easy Being Green

This is something to look forward to in the fall. The media focus will probably be on the Middle East, the Liberal leadership race, mindless speculation about election timing, and the Same Sex marriage vote but Rona's environmental plan is probably the legislation most likely to directly affect Canadians in the long run.

Little noticed this morning was that the environment has crept up to being the second most important issue for Canadians, behind health care. So it's certainly in Harper's best interests to present a strong environmental platform. Will this be that strong environmental platform? I'm not sure. The lack of talk about reducing greenhouse gas emissions is troubling.

But ignoring Kyoto and doing something is certainly a lot better than talking all day about Kyoto and doing nothing for the environment, so I'll definitely be curious to see the details.

5 Comments:

  • As an ardent environmentalist, coincidentally named Green, I'm very excited - in a hopeful way.

    I have no party leaning. If this is really all that it's touted as (and I hear it has lots to say on greenhouse gas), then I'll be pretty much behind the government come election time, I *think*.

    I'm disappointed in the Liberal's recent green record... it'll take a lot of gusto from the next leader to swing me (if the CPC plan is Very Good).

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at 12:07 a.m.  

  • Heck, I was just about to point you to a link on my blog to a news bit that does mention tackling greenhouse gases - then I clicked on yours. They're the exact same thing, but yours has extra paragraphs at the end! Word for word!

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at 12:30 a.m.  

  • green; Well, the article mentions setting long range emissions targets but if there's no real plan to get there...I think we can agree we're not going to see any real action to get there if it's a 15 year target.

    hybrid; Definitely. In the long run, I firmly believe it's good for business to have clean solutions. And it's good for Canada to be researching for ways to do things cleaner. I may pick up that book once I finish the one I'm currently reading (Tipping Point, it's very good - you should check it out)

    By Blogger calgarygrit, at 1:13 a.m.  

  • Interesting enough, a seemingly awesome electric car was just rolled out my Tesla Motors.

    http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

    One of the ways you get people to converse, is getting them to consume more or better while reducing energy impact.

    Now if we could all just afford these cars, and build a bunch of nuclear power plants to power them....

    By Blogger Manley Man, at 9:22 a.m.  

  • Yo yo CG,

    Top of the morning to you.

    I hear what you say about GHG/no plan -- I'm optimistic that when the actual, real proposal is unveiled this autumn, there'll be more meat to it there.

    If not - well, let's talk in autumn, cuz I'll have lots to say! ;)

    By Blogger Jacques Beau Vert, at 9:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home