Friday, April 07, 2006

Policy Wonks

A friend of mine in the Alberta Young Liberals asked me to hype the big policy project they've launched, so I figure I'll toss a link up to it. The document is called CA2020 and it lays out where the Young Liberals want to take the country over the next 14 years.

And, yes, legalized marijuana is on the list (surprise, surprise). But so are a lot of different ideas you might not expect youth to have an interest in, least of all, a position on. I browsed through the document and there are a few well thought out ideas in there which seem achievable. (But not a single word on baking a bigger economic pie!)

I'm not sure I agree with all of the policies listed, but it's great to see some Liberals taking an interest in the policy renewal process of their party.

8 Comments:

  • bah they probably wrote all the policies while they were drunk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 a.m.  

  • or high

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:05 a.m.  

  • The thing I most liked about the marijuana decriminalization bill... in the draft I saw... they were going to make it a fine if you got caught with one or two plants... seemed like a nice stepping stone... if people could grow it a little on their own... they wouldn't need to buy it from people who potentially got it from a gang.

    When the new gov announced they wouldn't re-introduce the bill... if you listened very carefully you could hear the distinctive noise of Harper kissing George Bush's ASS.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 a.m.  

  • This initiative is interesting, actually. The Ontario Young Liberals have also pursued a similar policy strategy called "Canada/Ontario 2030." Here, we've asked OYLers to look ahead 25 years and propose innovative ideas for where we want to see our country and province go.

    By Blogger John Lennard, at 12:08 p.m.  

  • It is a shame the AYL have stated their support for a greater role for the private sector in healthcare.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 p.m.  

  • electoral reform was in there, innaresting. though i'm not so sure the citizens assembly thing is a good idea. parties should just get on with implementing it or having a referendum.

    By Blogger bza, at 6:45 a.m.  

  • @andrew: Not re-introducing a horrible bill is not pandering to George W. Bush, it's being smart.

    Are the YLCs still talking about legalizing prostitution too? That's another "winning" idea of theirs, and reason #1 that I will not be re-joining the Liberal Party for at least another year (when I'm 26) so that I don't have to associate myself with them.

    By Blogger RGM, at 9:34 a.m.  

  • Richard's a future politician and a poli sci grad student - god is there a more pompus combo possible?

    "I'm so good at policy I should be PM, I will learn about policy and then they will make me PM because I'm so smart"


    ha ha ha ha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home